Valencia, the vibrant city on Spain’s southeastern coast, offers visitors a wealth of activities and attractions to explore.
From stunning architecture to mouthwatering cuisine, Valencia has something for everyone. In this guide, we will highlight some of the best things to do in this enchanting city.
- The City of Arts and Sciences: Start your Valencia adventure at the City of Arts and Sciences, a futuristic complex that showcases the fusion of art, science, and technology. Explore the stunning architecture of the Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia, visit the interactive exhibitions at the Science Museum, marvel at the breathtaking Oceanografic, and enjoy a movie at the Hemisferic, a unique IMAX cinema.
- Historic Center: Discover the rich history and culture of Valencia by wandering through its charming historic center. Explore the narrow streets, visit the famous Central Market, and admire the exquisite architecture of the Valencia Cathedral and the Torres de Serranos, which were once part of the city’s ancient walls.
- La Lonja de la Seda: A UNESCO World Heritage site, La Lonja de la Seda is a masterpiece of Gothic architecture. This former silk market is renowned for its stunning interior, including the famous Hall of Columns. Take a guided tour to learn more about the city’s silk trade history and appreciate the intricate details of this remarkable building.
- Turia Gardens: Escape the hustle and bustle of the city at the Turia Gardens, a beautiful park that runs through Valencia along the former course of the Turia River. Enjoy a leisurely walk or bike ride, have a picnic, or simply relax in the peaceful surroundings. Don’t miss the impressive Gulliver Park, where you can climb on a giant sculpture of the iconic character from “Gulliver’s Travels.”
- Malvarrosa Beach: Valencia’s golden sandy beaches are perfect for sunbathing and swimming. Head to Malvarrosa Beach, the most popular beach in the city, to soak up the sun and take a refreshing dip in the Mediterranean Sea. There are also plenty of restaurants and bars nearby, where you can sample delicious seafood dishes.
- Valencia Bioparc: Animal lovers shouldn’t miss a visit to the Valencia Bioparc, a unique zoo that aims to recreate the natural habitats of its inhabitants. Explore the African Savannah, the Equatorial Forest, and the wetlands to observe a wide variety of animals, including lemurs, giraffes, lions, and gorillas.
- Museo de Bellas Artes: Art enthusiasts will appreciate the Museo de Bellas Artes, one of Spain’s most important art museums. Admire the extensive collection of paintings from renowned artists such as Velazquez, Goya, and Sorolla. The museum also hosts temporary exhibitions and cultural events throughout the year.
- Albufera Natural Park: Take a short trip from Valencia to the Albufera Natural Park, a beautiful wetland known for its picturesque scenery and diverse bird species. Explore the park by boat, take a leisurely stroll along the trails, or enjoy a relaxing picnic while surrounded by nature.
- Agua de Valencia: While in Valencia, don’t forget to indulge in the local gastronomy. Sample the famous Agua de Valencia, a refreshing cocktail made with orange juice, cava (Spanish sparkling wine), vodka, and gin. Pair it with traditional Valencian dishes like paella or tapas to complete your culinary experience.
- Fallas Festival: If you happen to visit Valencia in March, you’re in for a treat. The Fallas Festival is a week-long celebration of art, culture, and fireworks. Witness the impressive displays of ninots (giant sculptures) and enjoy the lively street parades. Don’t miss the climax of the festival on the night of March 19th, when the ninots are set on fire in a spectacular display of fireworks.
Conclusion: Best things to do in Valencia
Valencia is a city that seamlessly blends tradition and modernity, offering visitors a truly unforgettable experience. Whether you’re a history buff, a nature lover, a foodie, or simply seeking a vibrant atmosphere, Valencia has it all. So pack your bags and get ready to explore all the incredible things this captivating city has to offer.